Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weekend in Bratislava

This past weekend had relatively good weather (i.e. it wasn't pouring rain) so I took the opportunity to get out and about in Bratislava.

Saturday:
Apparently it was Gay Pride day in Bratislava because many people were walking around with little rainbow flags.  There was some sort of demonstration in the main square which I later learned was a conservative anti-gay rally.  Someone had thrown tear gas at the crowd which is why the police came out in force.  But when I walked by things were pretty calm, just a row of police in front of some protestors holding banners. 



I walked by St. Elizabeth's church, known for its blue color.  It really does look like Smurf Cathedral.  I wanted to take a look inside but there was a wedding going on so I just took a quick peek.  No bridesmaids or groomsmen I noticed, although it looked like a traditional Catholic wedding.

 










On to Eurovea.  It's Bratislava's newest shopping mall, completed in March 2010.  What's unique is that it is on the riverfront, with cafes and restaurants offering outdoor seating overlooking the water.  There is a great bike path that runs along the river - I imagine Eric and I will riding our bikes down here often (once our bikes arrive)!  I like that some of the restaurants/cafes offer giant beanbag chairs you can lounge on, they looked really comfy!












On the way home I got a nice view of the UFO bridge at sunset.


Sunday:
Walked up to Slavin monument, a memorial to Soviet soldiers who died "liberating" Slovakia after WWII.  It's on a hill so the view was nice.  The houses in that area, on the hill, are pretty nice as well, with floor to ceiling windows to enjoy the view.

I walked over to Horsky Park which is a forested area with hiking trails.  Not really what I had in mind so I didn't stay too long (I wasn't exactly wearing my hiking shoes).  But I did see some wildlife while I was there.

1 comment:

  1. Now you can remember me everytime you see St Elizabeth church. This is where I go everyday :-) only on a different continent.

    ReplyDelete