Tuesday, May 18, 2010

2 weeks in...

Today is Tuesday, May 18, 2 weeks since our first full day here in Bratislava.  It's actually gone by really fast!  I'm getting adjusted at work and meeting new people in the office everyday.  It's going to take some time to get to know people but everyone has been very nice so far.  When I got set-up at work, they gave me a new log-in, new password, phone id, phone pin, copy machine code, after-hours pin, Blackberry pin and password.....it goes on and on.  So needless to say, I avoid certain doors and don't use the copy machine (and rarely my phone) because I can't keep all the passwords/pins straight!

Eric and I moved into our apartment a week ago.  Since then, I've been to the grocery store 4 times!  I don't have a car yet so my trips are limited to what I can carry (or put in my backpack).  It's about a 5 block walk to the smaller market and about 10 blocks to the Tesco mega mart.  I only call it a mega mart because it's like a department store, with perfume and cosmetics on the ground floor, clothes and electronics on the upper levels, and a big grocery store in the basement.  A few observations:
1.  The cheese and yogurt selection are much more extensive, a big plus for me.  I currently have 5 kinds of cheese and 4 kinds of yogurt in my refrigerator!  Yes, that includes Bresse Bleu, my favorite!  They are big on sheep's cheese here, not that I care for it too much.
2.  Great bread selection - there are at least 10 different kinds of fresh rolls, even in the smaller market.  And they are super cheap!  I have 3 kinds of bread in my bread box...
3.  Sizes - things come in smaller sizes, i.e. 1 liter of milk, 100 grams of jam...much more convenient for me since a) I'm cooking for one right now and b) I have to carry it all home!
4.  Chocolate - they take it serious here.  Like an entire aisle dedicated to all different kinds of chocolate.  Needless to say, I'm in heaven!
So in case you're keeping track, I've stocked up the kitchen with milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, bread, wine, and chocolate! 

Otherwise, the apartment is coming together.  I've unpacked everything from our suitcases but am experiencing a serious hanger shortage.  It started raining Saturday afternoon and seriously did not stop until Tuesday afternoon.  So haven't been out and about too much.  Tried out the washing machine and the drying rack (no clothes dryer) - so far so good!  But I do miss my husband and wish he were here.  This is the best I can do until I go back to San Jose...

No comments:

Post a Comment