Sunday, November 25, 2012

Warsaw, October 2012

I instructed a course in Warsaw for two days, then Eric and I stayed for the weekend.  It was my third time there, Eric's first.  I had Eric check out the Warsaw Uprising museum Friday while I was working since I had been so moved by it the first time I had been here.  My co-instructor who lives in Warsaw very kindly suggested a few restaurants for us to try.  We went to a French bistro our first night and had a great meal (oysters, mushroom vol au vent, chocolate souffle and wine of course).

Saturday was our full day together in Warsaw and the plan was to have a walk down Novy Swiat.  Great plan except the weather did not fully cooperate.  It snowed from the time we woke up to the time we went to bed!  It was our first snow of the season so we were excited but not after being outside after a few hours of heavy snow falling!  It was still a great walk but we didn't feel much like lingering to take in the sights.  We did catch a really interesting photo exhibit of Warsaw soon after the war.

We had a traditional Polish meal for lunch at Pod Sansonem - borscht and pierogis, yum!  We ducked into a cute cafe across the street to warm up before heading back out in the snow (To Lubie).  They had the most delicious coffee and cakes!  We continued our walk a bit to the Jewish memorial before heading back to the hotel for the day.  That evening we walked a few blocks to a wonderful Isreali restaurant for dinner (Tel Aviv).  I was in heaven, the food was so awesome!  They also suggested a very good Israeli red wine.  It was a cozy, unpretentious but friendly place, what a great find!

Sunday we enjoyed brunch at the hotel before heading out to the Palace of Culture.  We braved the line (only one elevator was working) to catch the view from the top.  Afterwards, we made another loop through old town and ended at Wedel for their famous chocolate.  I had the drinking chocolate with chili, my favorite!





No comments:

Post a Comment